Installing Solar Panel Electric Systems
Installing Solar Electric Systems in New York State has never been easier! Let the power of the sun power your home, business, school, cabin or any other application that uses electric!
by Shawn Lessord of Renewable Rochester
There are many different types of Renewable Energy systems that a homeowner or business can install. Installing Solar Electric Systems can be an experience and should be done by qualified personnel as there are hazardous voltages present with many of these systems. The following are the different systems and their applications:
- Solar Electric (Photovoltaic) Grid Connected String System
- Solar Electric (Photovoltaic) Grid Connected Enphase System
- Solar Electric (Photovoltaic) Battery Grid Connected
- Wind Electric Grid Connected
- Hybrid Solar and Wind Grid Connected
- Solar Off-Grid
- Wind Off-Grid
- Hybrid Off-Grid
The most common system is the Solar Electric (Photovoltaic) Grid Connected systems. These are the most simple and easiest to install, involving only a few pieces of equipment. (The Solar Modules, Inverter, Disconnects, Fuses/Breakers, wire and conduits) make up this solar package.
The second is the Battery Based Grid Connected system and has the same components as the straight Grid Connected system, however there are batteries, charge controllers, and several other items that make up these systems. These are very complex, and skilled engineering is needed to build one of these systems.
Like the Battery Based Grid system, the Off-Grid battery systems are also complex and take time to engineer, design, and install. The stand along Wind and Solar systems all require batteries and need to be engineered to make sure the system meets NEC, local, and State requirements. The Hybrid systems for Off-Grid applications are typically used on barns, remote cottages, or areas that require electric but are too far from the electric grid to supply power.
If you are thinking of installing a Solar or Wind electric system on your home, there are a few things you need to know. First is patience. Since these systems go through a series of approvals, installation time, inspections, incentives, and complicated paperwork and engineering, the total turnaround time can take upwards of 3-4 months to fully complete. The installation is generally 1-3 weeks depending on the complexity of the site. If you are interested in a quote or if you would like to have a Solar Grid Connected system installed on your home or property, please fill out a customer site survey first to help us determine if you are a good candidate.
With an Off-Grid system, there is no utility paperwork, no incentives, and in some cases no permits needed so the time frame for these installs is much shorter.. Maybe a month or less.
At Renewable Rochester we make this complicated process simple, and do all the Utility SIA paperwork, permits, incentives, along with providing all the tax credit information to all our clients. Since we look at these systems as our systems, and within our Community Partners Program, you will get a quality installation, great professional customer service, and a smooth on-time installation. For over 20 years, our staff has been providing all this and beyond!
Because we feel that a well designed and engineered system will last for many years, we take the steps that go beyond a typical contractor installation. Remember, “Your system is our system!!”
Below is the process and time frames for installing a solar or wind system that is hooked to the electric grid.
- Fill out a site survey We will contact you for a site evaluation (10 minutes at the most)
- Design concept including costs, incentives, layout, and contract (Several hours or days)
- Sign the contract and we are off and rolling! For those interested we have financing options available that make a home loan available to most people who apply
- Utility SIA, Permitting, Incentive application (We do all this for our customers!) (20 hours)
- Installation (Typically takes 1-3 weeks depending on the complexity of the site)
- Inspections (one week to schedule appointment, and one hour for inspection typically)
- Training and customer orientation (Usually only an hour or two and the customer turns on the switch for the first time! )
- Final approval by the utility and town (One day)
- Enjoy the system and being sustainable!! (30 years for the system!) & (Your lifetime for sustainability!!)
*** Please note that it is our policy to return calls and emails within 24 hours. In some cases during our busy times of the year this wait time can be longer.. We hope that you understand.